No Shame

The cast is gone! Though for 5 minutes I thought he was going to recast my leg because he got confused on how long I had actually had the cast on. I was really disappointed for those 5 minutes, but thankfully there was an attentive nurse who helped get it all sorted out. But since 6 weeks from surgery is not until this Sunday, he doesn't want me to put any weight on my foot for the next few days, even with the boot on. So I'm still on crutches, but at least I don't have a cast! I soaked my leg in the bathtub for a while today, worked on moving my foot up and down, and scraped off lots of dead skin. I have very little range of motion right now, so I think I would have a hard time walking anyway. The doctor said that I shouldn't expect a full recovery until 6 months or so, but of course that doesn't keep me from thinking that I should be able to walk right away. Apparently my lessons in patience and lack of control are not done.

Now for some pictures! Both my legs have definitely lost muscle, but the left is obviously worse. My ankle is still a bit swollen since there hasn't been any movement to move the fluid out, so hopefully that will go down soon. And of course there is the hair. The doctor said not to shave until I had soaked my leg a couple of times and the skin wasn't as brittle. And since I know you all wanted to see my hairy leg, I will comply.
Here is my incision. I'll get a better picture of the scar in a few weeks.
This picture shows my lack of calf a bit better.
And a close up of the hair. Don't you love my manly legs? I choose to take pride in my ability to grow such awesome leg hair. :)

Since you now need a more pleasant visual experience, here is the little one in the snow.





Comments

  1. Hey Shannon, Your new no-cast configuration suits you quite well. I appreciate the pictures and the thoughtful reflection on the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear lord.... i am impressed! Shannon, your length of leg hair is definitely worth many high fives. it must be great to finally be free of the cast, and since you have done the boot before it shouldn't be so bad, right? the scar gives me the willies though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the leg hair. Best picture EVER!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice pics of your leg, i remember that very well... isn't being in a cast the best!!! lol jk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief it must be to have that cast off! The hairy leg pictures are hilarious...you have a great sense of humor! Good thing as a mother you'll need it in life. Those are some cute pictures of Josiah in the snow. My kids would be so jealous...so far it has snowed once since we've been in WA. We bought snow suits and everything...such is life.

    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear my dear... you need an epilator (hair plucker) ... and soon your leg hairs will give up trying to grow =) It worked for me so it'll work for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish it was acceptable for a woman not to shave! shannon, let's be honest...you didn't really miss shaving! glad you are out of the cast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment