Thing We Will Miss, Part 1: Church

In this series, I will attempt to record some of the most meaningful elements from our seven years in Hong Kong. These years have been hard and good. We have felt alone and at home. Some things we will not miss at all, but others we will miss dearly. I will always be more practical than sentimental, but that should not discount the depth of appreciation that we have for the people, places, memories, opportunities, and growth that has happened during our time in Hong Kong. 


We first visited Tung Chung Church (later renamed The Bridge Church) in June 2011, just a few months after arriving in Hong Kong. This is the very spiritual reason that this congregation become our church home:

Shortly after arriving in Hong Kong, I discovered that I was pregnant with Daniel. I was nauseous for most of his pregnancy and threw up every single time I got on a boat. (Read my popular tips to avoid puking on the ferry.) Mui Wo is accessible by boat or bus and so I very quickly ruled out the boat as an option for getting to church. The closest English-speaking church was still a 30 minute bus ride away, but at least it was not a boat! And so we found our church family. 

Ironically, though I never threw up on the bus to church, I have spent the last seven years managing the bus vomit of all 3 children. I only let them eat oatmeal packed waffles on Sunday mornings, I carry gallon sized ziplock bags to catch throw up, and I have spent many bus rides stressed and slightly panicked as I held a bus-sick child who might explode at any minute.

But at least I never threw up! 

As with any meaningful relationship, our relationship with The Bridge has been full of love, frustration, joy, and pain. Through each challenge and ordeal, the church clung together, worked together, and grew together as the body of Christ. We all know that there is no perfect church because churches are groups of imperfect people, growing in love for God and each other. We have been so thankful to grow alongside this group of people, they have taught us much and brought us valued community.

On April 1 we celebrated our 7th Easter Sunday at The Bridge Church. Nathan led worship with a group of incredibly talented musicians who love music and love Jesus.


I taught a group of 19 kids ages 9-12, which has not been the norm for me the past few years. I have most often taught the littlest kids, singing and dancing and working to ground them in the Truths of the Bible. But the oldest group of crazies were gracious and fun on Easter.


After church, before we were allowed to eat, we all embarrassed ourselves together with a couple of group dances. We will miss going to church with professional Disney dancers!

(Can you see Josiah and I having a discussion in the middle of the dance?)


It was such a beautiful day, how could we not dance?! 

(Well, obviously all those people in the back disagreed with me!)


After dancing and food, came the egg hunt...


and games!


Our time at The Bridge Church has blessed us with so many friendships. Some of those friends left years ago for Singapore, New Zealand, the States, or beyond. Many friends will still be here in Hong Kong as it's now our turn to move away. 

Some friendships are new, connections made easily through a love of beards and laughter. 


Other friendships are old, refined by the fires of organizing VBS together. 


Whether old or new, near of far, the friendships we have made during our years at The Bridge have brought us joy, helped us grow closer to Jesus, encouraged us, and loved us. What more could we ask?

We will miss you all!!


Comments