The end of pretending. And a monkey.

I have carried this box around for years and years. Nathan makes fun of me.

Because this is what's inside the box: 3 alto sax reeds, 1 bass clarinet reed, and lots of bassoon reeds.

The bassoon reeds in the picture below are not really usable any more. I have kept them for various sentimental/stupid reasons.

For example, this reed is super moldy. I think it's awesome.

But even more awesome is this reed, because the mold has actually eaten away at the reed. Or maybe it's because in college I tried to soak this reed in hydrogen peroxide to try and clean it. It was a good reed.

But now I must stop pretending that I play these instruments and stop pretending that moldy reeds are awesome and throw them away. Because it is silly to keep carrying all this around. Except for that black box there.

The black case contains bassoon reeds that are actually still good. And because I'm not yet willing to fully let go of the idea that I am still a bassoonist. You really just never know when you might need a bassoon reed!
It is a sad day.


But look at this monkey that Emily made!

Delicious rice crispy treat monkey!
That makes a happy day!

Comments

  1. I think I know some of the emotions involved. I retained my college/seminary organ items (books & shoes) until 1988. I don't know why I did that, I just did. Then, I held on to my academic piano literature collection until 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! =) It's time to simplify your life... can't take everything with you across that pacific.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment