School Update

Two things:

1. First, I realize that my last post about Josiah going to school was a bit silly. After all, he's just going to 3 hours of preschool and I was already talking about college. But people don't think of K1 as preschool. It is really thought of as starting school. The kids have homework and learn to write. Parents most certainly stress about what school their 2-year-old should go to and how that will effect what high school they go to. (Because, oddly enough, that can be a very true cause and effect in HK.) Anyway, I am now being much more emotionally normal about my 3-year-old going to 3 hours of preschool.

2. Second, to you 17-year-old college starters that left a comment... with summer birthdays, Nathan and I were barely 18 when we started college. But that is clearly not the point. The point is that MY little boy does not need to be on the other side of the world from me when he is 17. This is similar to how it is unimportant that I loved going to boarding school in high school, yet I have no desire for MY children to have that same great experience. However, I reserve the right to change my mind about sending my children away depending on whether or not they keep saying things like "Mom, but I just love you!" and "Mom, you're so pretty!"


Ok, on to an update about Josiah and school.

Overall, I think the crying at drop-off increased everyday, yet Josiah also did better at school everyday. Here's a run down:

Day 1 (Thursday): Josiah went quite willingly and did not cry all that much. I stayed with him for the first few minutes to help him get settled. The teachers were very clear that he would get to wander and play the first day and was not expected to sit still like the rest of the kids. When the teacher announced they were going to sing some songs, Josiah excitedly suggested that they sing Jesus Loves Me. He stayed all 3 hours, but after school the principal suggested that he only stay 2 hours the next day. (He has actually not stayed the full 3 hours again. Maybe this next week?)

Day 2 (Friday): Again, Josiah walked quite willingly with me to school, but as we got closer declared, "I can't go to school everyday!" I think he felt tricked. He cried a decent amount at the door and when I picked him up the teachers told me he had tried to run away. However, they leave the door open and the playground is right there. I'm surprised more kids don't run away.

Day 3 (Monday): Josiah started crying at the school shoe rack, before he ever went in the classroom. The teachers told me that he was better behaved, they just had to keep him busy. He came home with the date stamped all over his hands, which is no surprise since the teacher's supplies are within reach of the children. So yes, if you want him to stay out of the teacher's supplies, keep him busy.

Day 4 (Tuesday): Josiah rode his scooter while I rode the Family Bike with Daniel in the ergo. We got about 3/4 of the way there and he couldn't make himself go any further. I was glad he willingly got into the Family Bike! Outside of the school, he refused to get off the Family Bike and cried for a really long time. Once we finally got to the shoe rack, he threw himself of the ground and cried. I couldn't do much with Daniel in the ergo, so I gave the baby to another mom and spent about 10 minutes helping Josiah get inside and settled. I then stood at the door (with Daniel back in the ergo) for another half hour or so reassuring and encouraging Josiah. And when I did leave, he cried again, of course.

Day 5 (Wednesday): Josiah started crying in our stairwell before we even got outside. I told him I would stay with him at school for a little while and stayed for an hour, moving with the class from PE to English. Thankfully, Daniel just slept away, but it was hard for me to see Josiah being so disruptive and uncooperative.

Day 6 (Thursday): Josiah started crying inside the house, before we even got out of the door. But I had told him that I was not staying with him and that I was going to leave right away. I gave him some candy before we left the house and he stopped crying. (Sometimes the crying just has to stop to stay sane!) He went happily into his classroom and though he screamed quite a lot when I did leave, the teachers told me he had a great day. They said he actually played with other kids, which he apparently had not done before. When he got home, Josiah informed me that he cut a girl's hair, but that the "fun girl" wouldn't let him cut her hair. Good times. Also, since Josiah did not like the porridge (congee? oatmeal? I'm not sure) they had for snack, he was given 5 cookies. So yes, 5 cookies would make his day better and apparently he has already learned to manipulate his teachers for sugar! How were the other kids not complaining that Josiah got cookies?!

Day 7 (Friday): He didn't go because it was it was a parent day to discuss what the kids did last term. He was quite happy to not go and we just stayed home and played all day. But I was sad we couldn't build on the positive momentum from Thursday. I have a feeling we'll take a step backwards on Monday!

Now, pictures:
(captions under each picture)
This is the main room of the school. The room is divided by a curtain and the K3 kids are on the other side. There is also another smaller building where English and Music class are held.


There is Josiah at the table, painting. About half his class is non-Cantonese speaking. The little blonde head on the right side of the picture is a K3 kid (6-year-old) who did not want to be with his class. He said it was boring and all they did was homework. Considering how little sound I heard coming from the other side of the classroom, I believe him!

And another view of the K1 space. The first thing the kids do when they get to school is have their temperature taken. Then they take out their homework and give it to the teacher and go put their backpacks away.


On Mondays and Wednesdays, the kids wear these orange polo shirts because they go exercise (run around in circles for 5 minutes) at the village square. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday they wear the orange checkered apron over their clothes. Josiah is on the far left of this picture.


This is the shoe rack outside of the classroom.


And a look at the playground just outside the classroom.


Another view of the playground.
When I picked Josiah up each day he would say, "See? That wasn't so bad, was it?"
Hopefully he starts to remember that when I drop him off!

Since this post is ridicuously long, I'll save the pictures of his homework for another day!

Comments

  1. Josiah commented, "See? That wasn't so bad, was it?"
    I love it, he used the typical "parent quote" as his own material.
    (I also enjoy observing the daughter as she progresses from high school student to parent.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have their temperatures taken every day?! Kinda weird but a pretty good idea considering some parents would send their kid to school with a fever. Poor little Joe...but it sounds like he is doing so much better! You're a great mom for staying consistent. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment