Traveling

July 16, 2004, Nathan and I arrived in California with a car full of stuff. July 17, 2009, Nathan drove away from California with a car full of stuff. Because he is crazy, he drove that car of stuff for 26 hours straight, finally stopping to sleep in Springfield, MO. After speaking at a church and visiting friends in St. Louis, he arrived Monday night in Ohio.

Monday morning, Josiah and I headed to LAX with much stuff and dear friends to help lug the stuff around. I had 2 suitcases, a crib, a car seat, a stroller, 2 carry on bags, and a baby. My understanding of the Southwest policy was that I could take 2 bags free or substitute one bag for 2 baby items. So I figured I had a suitcase, 2 baby items, and then an extra suitcase for $50. What I didn't realize was that the stroller also counts as a baby item, even though it is checked at the gate. After the Southwest lady graciously overlooked that detail and charged me only $50 for my extra suitcase, we then put the suitcases on the scale. Both of them were 51 pounds! Oops! So this time I got a couple of exasperated looks telling me that my need for grace was no longer cool, and then she gave me grace. :) Thank you, God!

Josiah was a champ once again. (This was his 3rd plane trip, and he has now been on 8 different planes in 7 months!) I chose my window seat. Then a young dad chose the aisle seat in my row, as Josiah reminded him of his little one at home. Then I watched anxiously to see who would choose the middle seat. I was disappointed when a large man sat down, but thankfully he just slept most of the flight. Trying to get Josiah a full feeding while turning to face the window was a bit of a challenge, but it worked! And then he proceeded to take a 3 hour nap and save the spastic jumping for the last half hour of the trip. (I'll get a video of the spastic jumping sometime soon.)

A short layover in Nashville, a full row of 3 seats to ourself to Cleveland, and then reunited with Daddy in Ohio! Surprisingly, I wasn't even as exhausted as I expected to be upon arrival. :)

Now we are at Nathan's parents house in Dover. And I have internet! :) So this blog should be updated a bit more often than it has been the past month. We are choosing to do mostly nothing for the first week as we take time to relax and rest. Then we will jump into support-raising mode, though I'm not sure we're still exactly sure what that looks like yet!

And now some pictures...

Still in CA, Josiah enjoys doing pushups on his hands and toes.

A funny face.

Toys in a box.

Happy boy in a box.

Now in OH and still a happy boy.

With more funny faces.

And always a smile.

And now Josiah is up from his nap! Bye!

Comments

  1. awesome to hear that you guys got back safely! cute pics as usual. Had a good time at the retreat with you guys...thanks for coming and will be keeping you in our prayers! GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for understanding people and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How THRILLING! i am so glad to hear that you are all safe and sound, little joe looks ready for an adventure... look forward to hearing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you all made it to Ohio safely. Please keep us updated. I really enjoy your blog and seeing Josiah look adorable as usual. We are packing, packing, packing. I am hating the heat, but that is nothing new.
    Love in Christ,
    Kristin Barnhart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somewhere in North Carolina (in non-digital format) are pictures of Josiah's mother--in a box--playing happily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment