How to Have a Baby in Hong Kong: Part 6

Well, I survived the glucose tolerance test. I managed to not throw up at all, even while trying to drink the nasty stuff (which was served hot!) and I didn't even eat as soon as I could have... which is just to say that I didn't feel absolutely shaky and moody after not eating for 12 hours.

To sum up the experience...

Just imagine 150 pregnant women, none of whom have had breakfast, sitting in a large room waiting to get their blood drawn, drink a yucky sweet drink, wait 2 hours, and get their blood drawn again.

Though I'm sure everyone was a bit miserable, the room was fairly quiet as people played on their smart phones, iPads, read magazines, or just tried to sleep. The process was actually quite efficient and everything went smoothly.

Since I know the normal 1 hour glucose tolerance test done in the States leads to a lot of false positives and people end up having to take the 3 hours test (like I did), I'm assuming this in between test is Hong Kong's attempt to avoid all the false positives. I'm not actually sure if there is a longer test or not. Hopefully, I will have no reason to find out!

Comments

  1. 150 pregnant women?!? All at once? I guess that must have been efficient! Woa! I'm also shocked that they served it HOT!?! SOO gross! I'm just a bit nauseas thinking back to that glucose tolerance test! UGH! Glad you're done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment