How to Have a Baby in Hong Kong: Part 8

For the past 3 weeks I have gone to Queen Mary Hospital on Friday mornings. My first of these appointments was at 36 weeks for the purpose of the standard hospital check-up prior to delivery. The next 2 weekly visits might have otherwise been at the local clinic here in Mui Wo except that public holidays and such meant the Mui Wo clinic was not open. Nathan and Josiah went with me to the visit at 36 weeks, which was the first prenatal anything Nathan had been present at... very different from my pregnancy with Josiah! But the last 2 weeks, I just went by myself.

Each of the 3 visits was the same... weight, blood pressure, urine testing by a nurse... wait around for a long time... see the doctor for discussion, belly measurement, fetal heart beat... wait around for a long time... get paperwork back from nurse and set next appointment.

At the 36 week appointment, we discussed VBAC options with the doctor. The doctor handed me paperwork explaining that a VBAC was the safest option, reviewed the surgical report from Josiah's birth, and said everything looked fine. I was quite surprised!

At the 37 week appointment, the young male doctor apologized for touching my belly. Really dude?

At the 38 week appointment, I more specifically discussed my options for VBAC and delivery. The doctor was supportive of all I wanted, but did suggest that since I did not want to be induced, I go ahead and have a c-section on the schedule. I imagine that since so many people in HK schedule c-sections, the scheduling of such is a bit tricky. My due date is January 9, so she looked at the schedule and suggested January 18. And I agreed... I think because I was both shocked that they would let me wait that long and horrified at the thought that I still might be pregnant by then. However, after I walked out of the doctor's office, I had second thoughts... thinking that I probably could have had her push it almost all the way to 42 weeks. So at my next appointment, I may see if I can get it changed. I'm just not sure how easy that will be in such a large system.

My next appointment is on my due date, Monday January 9. I assume it will be just like all these other appointments, but I'm not sure. I have yet to have a vaginal exam with this pregnancy. (They do not routinely test for group B strep.) It would be awesome if I didn't actually make it to that appointment!

So although I'm not actually expecting to go into labor before my due date, my bags are packed. And I guarantee you that they do not contain what most of your hospital bags contained!

Back in the beginning of this process, I was given a packet of information about labor and delivery at Queen Mary Hospital. The packet contains information about the purple pajamas Nathan will have to wear while at the hospital, my 3 options for pain relief (laughing gas, narcotic shot, epidural), and other various things. The packet also includes a list of what to bring to the hospital.


Before I get to the list, please note the paragraph before the list... particularly this sentence: "In case there is any signs and symptoms of delivery including show, abdominal pain or leaking of liquor..." Ha! You may submit your jokes via comment. :) And for those of you who do not speak Chinglish, they mean "leaking of liquid," you know, my water breaking.


So that is the list above. Let's start with the most troublesome: #5. "Maternity pad with loop 2 packs and belt or mesh pant." After re-reading that phrase multiple times and talking with someone about it, I finally understand. It should be re-written as "Two packs of maternity pads (with loops, not adhesive) and mesh underpants." I'm still not certain what the whole belt option is. Basically, these are just huge pads for after giving birth. Except they don't want pads that stick in your undies (like the package on the left which I mistakenly bought), they want pads with loops. And though I did take one out of the package and look at it, I am still very much confused by it. And with how it works with the mesh underwear. And why it is better than the self-adhesive. I would show you a picture, but you would still be just as confused.

The second part of this item is the "mesh pant." These are basically disposable mesh underwear and look pretty much like that little drawing on the right side of the packet.

The next confusing item was #7: "absorptive underpad 10 sheets." I thought I knew what this meant, only I couldn't find it at our local grocery stores. So I took the list to a pharmacy and they provided me with this:

After those 2 items, I mostly understood the rest of the list: #1: a cup (I've been told they are quite serious about this... no cup, no water); #2: accessories for morning and evening toilet (you know, toiletries); #3: tissue paper (otherwise known to Americans as toilet paper, not pictured below); #4: slippers (I thought that cute slippers might make me more popular with the nurses); #6: brassiere (you don't need a picture of that); #8: coins or telephone card (I'm not sure if this list was written 20 years ago or if they are going to try keep me from using my cell phone).

However, my wonderful husband has provided me with a supply of electronic accoutrements so that I will have charging options for my phone and the iPad (thanks again, Rachel!). I plan on using my cell phone.

Because did I mention that after I have the baby Nathan is only allowed to visit from 12-1pm and 6-8pm? Yep, 3 hours a day. He will likely be more exhausted than me, traveling back and forth between the hospital and home, while I lie in bed snuggling a newborn and watching movies on the iPad. (That may be a little idealistic, I realize.)

Ok, back to the list. I am also supposed to bring newborn diapers and "cotton wool piece or fragrance free wet tissue." Diapers and wipes, check. Cotton wool piece?

I planned to ignore the "cotton wool piece" entirely, not certain how wiping a baby's bottom with a cotton wool piece could be better than a wipe, but then a friend gave me a pack. And after looking at them and realizing that it is exactly what it says it is... I still plan to ignore it. We'll just stick with baby wipes.

So there we go. Bags are packed.

For those of you concerned that I have to bring my own toilet paper and cup to the hospital, consider that I will pay somewhere around US$25 for this birth. And that I have paid nothing so far. Well, actually, I've paid more in transportation costs getting to appointments than I will pay for the birth itself. Considering how much we paid in health insurance payments for maternity coverage with Josiah, I think I can be bothered to bring my own cup!

Part 9 of this series should include a picture of Daniel! Any time now, kiddo!

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting us on your progress. Are Josiah, Cary, or yor parents allowed to visit at all? How long will you be in the hospital? We keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of this reminds me of midwifery care. No vaginal exams until labor and most of the stuff on the list (minus the cup, toiletries and phone!) is on our lists!

    Honestly, none adhesive pads are preferable during the first day or so after teh birth because you have to change them fairly often and it is easier. Also, the adhesive would tear the mesh underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH>MY>HEAVENS! This is such an education! I'm not even sure of the words to describe my feelings regarding your journey (amazed? astonished? shocked?...) You have such a great attitude and sound as if you are just "going with the flow" on all of this...truly inspiring! Praying for you over these next few weeks as change is just around the corner!!! And PS>>>only 3 hours a day for Nathan at the hospital?! Craziness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! And what is the journey to the hospital like again? I can't remember the specifics.... bike to the ferry then plane ride to hospital?? :) all while in labor??? j/k

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post. I was totally glued to my screen reading every word and examining every picture! YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BABY!!!!!!! I cannot wait to hear all about it and see pics of your precious little Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post Shannon. now, i can draw on my geriatric experience....they actually do make belts for those sanitary pads. it looks like a soft fabric belt and the loops go right around it. there is still a lot of adjustment needed (if you know what i mean).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a Ukraine experience! Although I asked my mom about the special pads/belt and she explained them to me, she used them when she gave birth to me and my brother...But I am sure you have it figured out now, but if not I can let her write you and explain:) Praying everything goes smoothly with your delivery... Can wait to meet Daniel:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Different! My initial first-hand experience with hospitals in East Asia came when my mom (Shannon's grandmother) visited East Asia and experienced a mild hear attack. Hospital rooms don't come equipped with all the items a patient needs. I had to go to the hospital store to get several items for my mom and she was in intensive care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to hear how the baby-having goes!! We had some (American) friends give birth to their 3rd in Chile, where the c-section rate is like 95% or something. She insisted on a natural birth and apparently the doctor had literally never attended a natural birth :) And to add to his total discomfort, she didn't let him break her water and it didn't break until she started pushing. I love hearing how other countries do birth! I hope yours goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So interesting.....thanks for blogging your experience, Shannon. Praying for you all and the safe arrival of little Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope all goes smoothly!!! much love to you and little Daniel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment