A Bad Parent Tale

Josiah is still very hesitant about solid foods. Over the past few months he's gotten some bites of cereal and banana, but basically all his chubbiness is mommy's milk. I have tried various baby foods, but he just hasn't ever taken well to any of it. Without having any evidence that this could possibly be true, I contribute his lack of eating solids to his very strong sucking reflex. And of course, he still has a bit of a tongue thrusting reflex.

Josiah likes to eat lots of things if he can suck on them. He has sucked very contentedly on banana, cherries, watermelon, avocado, and most recently orange. Now I realize that his digestive system is probably not ready for some of these foods, but I enjoy seeing him eat real food, even if he's actually only sucking on it. (Refer to the title of this post.)

Anyway, Sunday night we went to a Chinese buffet. And I got some orange slices at the end of the meal. I decided to let Josiah lick some orange. And then he very readily opened his mouth and went back for more, which he rarely ever does. So I gave in. And he sucked and sucked and when I pulled it away he wanted it again. After he pretty much devoured the slice of orange, Nathan held some honey dew to his lips. And again, he went for it. Only this time, his very hard but teeth-less gums, bit off some pieces. He seemed to do alright for a moment, but then the gag reflex kicked in, and well, kicked everything out of his system. Poor baby.

I was mortified watching my baby choke briefly and then throw up all over the place, especially when I knew better.

I should have opened my fortune cookie sooner. It read:

"Think before sharing with others."



Comments

  1. oh sweet irony.... why do you mock us so??? but seriously, that is pretty impressive at how smart that fortune cookie was, lol. i hope Joe is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my daughter is relating her bad parent tales, does that mean I'm supposed to relate my bad parent tales from 20something years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there you go--it just tells me that you guys are human. Good parents but human! We probably did a lot worse to Nathan but I don't remember any of it (!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a baby parent tale at all... thank God for that reflex! My insight/non-judgemental advice ;) Citrus is a high allergy food so be careful with oranges... Check out www.babyfood101.com or www.wholesomebabyfood.com for tons of info on feeding solids and an order in which they should be introduced. Also the rule is that it takes as many as ten times for a baby to really decide he/she doesn't like something so keep "re-introducing" food!!! Seems like he is getting plenty of nutrition so no need to worry about the lack of solids too much but it does provide lots of laughter to watch them enjoy many different foods!! Sweet Potato is a great food to cook up, puree and feed them because it is sweet, very nutritious and very smooth in texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I know I shouldn't have given him oranges. And really it's not so much about him not liking stuff, just about him not swallowing it. But we give him cereal or banana or occasionally something else pretty much every day (and at various times during the day), so sooner or later he has to start actually eating... right?!? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment