The problem with expired pregnancy tests...

...is that you just don't know.

I had 2 pregnancy tests in our little medicine box that I've been carrying around since I found out I was pregnant with Josiah. When I pulled them out to use one a couple of weeks ago, I noticed they were expired. Hmmm.

The other problem with expired pregnancy tests is that you've likely had them so long you threw away the instructions. This wouldn't be a problem if you had bought the expensive tests that actually said "pregnant" or "not pregnant." But when there are just random lines, how do you know?

So of course I took the test. And this is what I saw:
(Not the actual test, but a similar picture I found online.)

Since I assumed I was pregnant, I assumed that a line in each field meant I was pregnant. But we didn't really know. So Nathan got online and looked at pregnancy test images.

And we saw this:

Oh, well, maybe I was supposed to have a plus in one of the fields. But I didn't know and anyway, the test was expired, so could I trust it?

What did I do? I took the other expired pregnancy test, of course. And received the same confusing result.

So I waited a few days. Because maybe my period would just start and then I would know. And anyway, I'm not sure you can find pregnancy tests on Lamma Island.

A few days later, we went to Watson's and I bought a new test. A test with English instructions so that I would actually know the result. Oh, and a test that wasn't expired. You know, just in case those things really do, well, expire.

And the result?
(Again, not the actual test I took, but you get the idea!)

So there you have it: The reason I haven't been blogging. Because this little one (which we are very excited about, of course!) does not like ferries. Or mornings. But especially ferries in the morning. So I have been throwing up a lot and generally feeling fairly miserable. The week Nathan was gone was terrible and Josiah watched a lot of movies while I laid around and moaned. Once Nathan got back and could fix me food and let me sleep more, I have started to feel better. Today I didn't throw up until after I got off the ferry... which I will tell myself is progress, but I'm not sure that's true.

I'm due sometime in early January, making me about 8 weeks right now. I was gonna wait a while longer to tell you people in blogland, but I figured you needed to know why I wasn't blogging. And now I can complain to you about throwing up on ferries. If you feel that you should have received this news via a personal email and you feel offended... don't be. Not many people know besides family anyway. It's hard to write happy pregnant emails when you feel terrible. But we'll just keep this news from facebook a while longer, just for fun.

Regarding a doctor, I haven't been yet. I've been more focused on finding housing than a doctor. Also, it'd be much more convenient if we had our Hong Kong ID cards before going to the doctor, so I might wait another month or so.

Josiah is very excited, though I've tried to stop talking about it because he always gets very concerned about "how we get it out?!" Well, child, quite frankly, I haven't decided how we're going to get it out yet. I figure 9 months is a long time for him to be frustrated with trying to see the baby and get it out, so we'll talk about it more later. Tonight, however, he told me that it was his baby, not mine, and he wants a baby girl. He told me he would sleep with it, feed it, give it a bath, and change it's diaper. Sounds like a superstar big brother already!

WE'RE GONNA HAVE ANOTHER BABY!!!

In other news, we will likely be signing a housing contract in the next few days! Hooray! Of course, to get from our current housing to our potential new housing requires 2 half-hour ferry rides.

So round trip, 4 ferries.

Good times.

Comments

  1. HAHAHA.... Josiah sounds funny =) Very happy for your family. Praying for safety and health for everyone ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT! that is AWESOME!!!!! i can't believe it!!! congratulations Shannon! now i am pretty much gonna explode with excitement...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!!! Congratulations!!! I remember you saying you were hoping to wait to have another little until you were in HK! Soooo excited for you, AND excited to hear about the journey...you know, more of the ferry rides, the Drs, the differences btw US and HK practices, etc...! :) Hope everything continues to settle for you! Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! You're gonna have a chinese baby!!!!!! ;-)
    Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on bundle-of-joy number next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo very excited for all of you! I told Kiersten, and she said, "OOOOOOOOOh! (Squeal)Yay!" Hope you feel better soon. (From Kiki and Clark's mom:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you, congratulations! J is going to be a great big brother. Praying you feel better soon, morning sickness is so not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute about Joe wanting to get the baby out...I'm sure he will be as wonderful a big brother as Nathan was/is....praying your nausea ends soon....yep, this is not the fun part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for you! Praying that the nausea ends sooner. Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. crazy wedding stuff made me so behind on blogs and such but, HURRAY! so excited for joe to be a big brother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shannon!! I haven't read your blog for awhile and I got on and saw this!!! Congratulations! So happy for you! I have been thinking and praying for you lots lately. It sounds like things are going well. We do miss you in Michigan! Please continue to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a few days behind, but congrats!!!!!!!!!
    GO big bro Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, Shannon!!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! So excited for you!

    Aaron S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment