Deferred Gratification


Josiah understands very clearly what it means to have only one left. And he wants to have one left for as long as possible. He will hang on to his last M&M for.ev.er. Incidentally, how did M&M get away with the "melts in your mouth, not in your hand" slogan for so long? It's a lie.

I bought a box of fruit snacks at the store the other day and let Josiah have a packet while we were shopping. He tole me he had "two left" by the time we got back up to the front and were going through the produce section. I noticed he was down to "one left" when we got into the ridiculously long line to checkout.

As I was loading groceries onto the belt, he dropped it. I debated for a second... wondering what other people were going to think if I picked it up and gave it back. But I pushed all cares of judgement aside and gave it back to him. However, I did tell him that if he dropped it again I would have to throw it away. He held on tight. But in a moment of distraction dropped it again.

The cashier offered me a trashcan and I threw it away. He wailed and wailed. After all, he loves fruit snacks and he had saved his very last one for so long...

Poor baby. What terrible lessons I am teaching him about the benefits of deferred gratification.

He got over it when the cashier offered him the receipt to hold.


And here is the little man in the first snow of the season from earlier this week:


Comments

  1. Interesting story! Sometimes you don't quite know what you just taught your kid, sometimes something very unintentional!
    Aren't we glad for the grace of God in our lives (and Joe's too)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I LOVE your stories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only holding a cash register receipt could dry all tears.....what a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have little to say about the story, though I do cry when i drop salsa, tapatio, cottage cheese, or Mexican food.

    On another note. I am so excited to hear that Joe knows our names!! I feel so special. He probably remembers mine because he was freaked out by a pencil shaped human, and thus will never forget. He probably remembers Jess' because she is so pretty (man I hope she reads this ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment