Welcome to Wellcome

This is our local grocery store. There's also another grocery store, but I like Wellcome better. Nathan tried to tell me the British spell welcome with 2 L's, but it's not true. (But it's also not a typo, like I've thought my whole life. I think it's a name.)

Here's the entrance. Don't try to bring anything large in, the poles will stop you.

But if they don't, here's a turnstile for extra measure.

After looking at the pictures I took of my shopping trip, I realized that I really just took pictures of the "normal" things, the things that I don't remember being available at Wellcome when I was a kid. There aren't really any "weird Asian" things in these pictures... my apologies.

So anyway... lots of produce imported from the States: strawberries, blueberries, organic spinach, Ready Pac salads, etc. Of course, it's a bit pricey but at least it's there!

There's lots of local veggies too.

The meat section... fairly normal looking.
Except for the chicken feet and black skin chickens, I guess.

A good selection of hair care, skin care, etc. products.

And of course Ladies' Cotton Disposable Panties.
What? You don't get those at Vons or Meijer when you go shopping?

The all important aisle of juice and milk.

And cheese! All I've wanted to eat since we got to HK is cheese. I blame it on the baby.
Of course, the selection is minimal and again, it's on the pricey side,
but at least it's here.

Cream cheese too!
Tofu might make it's way into lasagna still, but no more need for tofu cheesecake! :)
(Not that I've ever actually made cheesecake...)

You do realize, of course, that no culture can survive without Campbells', right? Apparently.

And then there are the baked beans. Super cheap cans of baked beans.
The British influence in HK is still so bizarre to me.

What? You didn't realize that Spam and Corned Beef were enjoyed by so many Chinese? Me either. Again, I don't really know how far the British influence has gone into the Chinese home.

Rice. Lots of rice.

And because we live near the beach in a bit of a tourist area,
there are always supplies for bonfires.

Including these.

The Chinese don't traditionally do much baking (hence my tiny electric oven) but the baking section has all the basics and today I made some yummy chocolate muffins from scratch.

This was meant to be a more awesome picture. Where all that silly Squirt is used to be Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper! At Wellcome. For less than a US dollar. But alas, it seems to be currently out of stock. Maybe they'll get it again? Not because we really care, more because of the novelty of being able to buy it locally in Asia. Oh the days of the 30 NT American drinks in the vending machine on campus...

Anyway, from high school memories back to reality. Diapers. I was reticent to try these, seeing as the name does not inspire much confidence, but surprisingly they are great! They are half as cheap as any other diaper here and even cheaper than Parent's Choice brand at Walmart. Score.

And now to get to the groceries home. I took Nathan's bike on this trip, but normally, the groceries would be in my front basket with the 2-year-old on the back. I can ride a bike, but with weight on both ends of the bike and random cows to avoid, sometimes I get a bit swervy. I think we might try doing a monthly stock up trip, just to make the more regular trips a bit easier!

That was a little peak at our local grocery store. I'm generally quite pleased with the things I'm able to find. Thank you, Jesus, for not asking me to be a missionary in Asia 100 years ago!

Comments

  1. Maybe someday (somewhere) you will get to buy groceries at Carrefour and/or Costco. (I've got shopping at Costco down to a science, the Carrefour in my neighborhood still makes my head spin.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info. I was happy to see your shopping situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment