Food Culture

There is an import store near the SALT office called Gateway. It seems to primarily import things from Costco. I don't know if they are importing stuff from Costco Stateside, or maybe from one of the gazillion Costcos in Taiwan, (Jealous.) but that's where most everything seems to come from. And though I've always been a fan of Costco diapers and wipes, I don't know why in the world anyone would pay lots of money for Kirkland brand baby wipes when the local stuff is just fine.

Even more ridiculous, however, is this:


Seriously? Seriously. In a land flowing with rice and more rice, are you really telling me that there is a demand for imported Uncle Ben's rice??? Are there really Americans living in HK who are willing to pay the ridiculous amount of money that this costs?


Anyway.

I thought you might interested in McDonald's breakfast menu. (Or Old McDonald's, as Josiah calls it.) Most everything is the same as McDonald's in the States... Egg McMuffins, Sausage McMuffins, pancakes, etc. But look at #5 and #6 in the middle there. (I apologize for the picture... I was trying to be discrete.)

#5: Fried Egg and Sausage over Twisty Pasta.
#6: Grilled chicken over Twisty Pasta.

I don't suppose it's the strangest thing ever... Nathan prefers leftover fried rice to cereal most any morning... but just not what you expect to see at MickyD's. And no, they don't serve pasta for any other meal, just breakfast.

Comments

  1. You are giving me some great visuals when for my social studies class, world geography and culture! But I'll have to slip some pics of you guys into the lessons, just to show you off! We love you pray for you, and laugh with you long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that grilled chicken doesnt look like the right shape :(

    P.S. I figured out how to post! Yeah... At least I don't have to look at myself with shame anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your "food-here vs. food-there" blogs have to be some of my favorites.....seriously.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment