A watermelon in a stroller

So the other day, I was pushing a watermelon in a stroller.

The reason I was doing this was due to several unusual and random events. I normally would not have been by myself with a stroller, nor would I be pushing a watermelon. But I was. And because of this, I walked a way that I never walk at a time that I am never out.

And I met a friend.

She was coming towards me on the sidewalk. She had a USPS box in her hand and a little boy following behind. She commented on my watermelon.

Instead of laughing politely about her comment and continuing on, I stopped to chat. We talked a bit and I got her phone number.

Today, Josiah and I spent 4 hours at the playground with K and her boy Z, who will be 3 in just a few weeks. Josiah and Z scootered around and around and around the playground, shared an orange, blew bubbles together, traded scooters, shared cars, and were remarkably nice and polite to each other.

K and her husband just moved to Hong Kong. Her husband teaches english and she stays home. She has the same undergrad and graduate degrees I do. We have very similar lifestyles, very similar parenting styles, and they are Christians. The boys played great together. Though Z is otherwise potty trained, he has also not mastered the pooping thing and still asks for a diaper to poop. What more in common do we need?!

Well, it would be nice if they weren't vegetarians. Not because I have anything against vegetarians, of course. But just because we could feed them more delicious food. We like food.

Our new friends K and Z are a huge blessing and I am grateful. Thank you God! (And thank you to all of you who have prayed for us to make more connections and build friendships. We have seen God provide in this area quite a bit lately!)

Need a new friend?
Walk down the sidewalk pushing a watermelon in a stroller.

Comments

  1. Well, I am glad you made a friend, but SERIOUSLY, bashing vegetarianism!!! I prefer being vegetarian and take issue with meat being 'better' just because it's meat. GRRRRRRRR. Next time we're in the same place, I'm cooking ONLY vegetarian food for you. HA HA HA HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord!!! What an incredible blessing for you guys (talking about the friends, not the watermelon) :) And I LOVE the picture of you pushing a watermelon in a stroller!!! Some people would think that would be diagnosable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! Great story and I love to hear how God is providing. We love you and it was soooooo good to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to keep that in mind when I need to make a friend in Ukraine:) Glad you are making connections, I know that is important! Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two MSW degrees in such a small town...you should open a practice! Love the "how not to throw up" post too...Sarah always tells me my sea sickness is mental so maybe I can concentrate my way out of feeling sick next time. Afterall, isn't it all in our heads? Have a great Labor Day...do they celebrate that there? If not you guys should; may I suggest some grilled meat.

    Josh

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. SHANNON! I can't believe it! that was
    relatively" qiuick! YAY! A friend with soooo much in common. I am so happy for you, Josiah (And K & Z). Great blessings all around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! Praise Jehovah Jireh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy you made a friend! And you are very brave stopping to chat and getting her phone number. But what fate?! I can't exactly picture Nathan with a vegetarian friend but that's okay, there is plenty more you have in common =) God is so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment