The bald dude vs. cute pics of Josiah

Josiah and I were playing happily in the yard. We were alternately laying in the grass looking at clouds and running with sharp tools in our hands. (Well, his hands.) A lady walked up and handed me a flyer telling me to "Elect Michael Quinn, Kalamazoo Country Commissioner." She didn't seem like she wanted to talk, so I didn't even get off the ground. Then not even 30 seconds later, who walked into my yard, but the Commissioner himself. Only I would never have guessed since he was wearing jeans, a plaid shirt, and a trucker hat. But yep, this was him:


He and the lady with him seemed like they wanted to talk, so I got up off the ground. He explained who he was and I explained that we weren't registered to vote in the state of Michigan. He asked if I wasn't going to vote in this upcoming election and I said, well... "No, I guess not. But I suppose that is pretty unAmerican of me." And then he sorta muttered under his breath that it was, in fact, pretty American.

During this conversation, Josiah had wandered into the garage. I couldn't see what he was doing and kept pulling away from the conversation to try to look for him. The Commissioner didn't really seem to notice. Thankfully I could hear Josiah, so I knew he was ok. Why the Commissioner continued to want to talk to the lady who he knew wasn't going to vote for him and who was repeatedly looking around him to ensure the safety of her child I wasn't sure, until... "Would you mind taking a few pictures with me?" Really? Ok, whatever. So I agreed, and we continued to stand there making awkward small talk (I tried to smile lots, at the same time knowing that my hair was a mess and that I was wearing a Christian t-shirt that he obviously had not noticed) while the photographer took some pictures. And then he told me to wash my hands because he was sick. Thanks, dude. Maybe you shouldn't go door-to-door when you've got germs. Though come to think of it, I never did wash my hands.

Anyway, what was Josiah doing that whole time you wonder?

Finding this:



A special thanks to the Kalamazoo County Commissioner for giving my son time to rummage through the garage and find something dangerous. Josiah is thrilled!

Comments

  1. Our political process in its shining glory! I want to congratulate your participation in such process. It is also a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what does a commissioner do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Michael and Josiah's Excellent Adventure" (yes, I borrowed that from a movie title).
    Hey Kara - commissioners spend money--your money, not their money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment