Jonah and the Great Big God

The audio of Nathan's recent sermon series is on the church website. If you're interested, go to www.greenhillsbaptist.org, click on Sermons, and then scroll down. He preached 4 sermons, though the fourth might not be there yet. I love listening to my husband preach God's Word! 

The following is the ending of Nathan's final sermon. This is our announcement to the church of our departure. Just thought you might be interested...

The answer to God must be yes. God has a plan for us all and part of the Christian life is to walk in that plan. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you how this truth has impacted the life of my young family. For the past four years I have enjoyed leading the high school group at this church. We came to California for schooling but we have found a family and church body that has supported us and encouraged me greatly in my ministry. We have made terrific friends and we have been challenged and blessed by the depth of love that we have been shown. Through all of this, the call of God on the life of Shannon and I has increased and God has more clearly shaped our passion for those who do not have access to the Truths of God that we all clearly enjoy. God has shown me that my passion is in training and discipling leaders to do God’s work. That is why with very mixed emotions we will be setting out from Green Hills in the beginning of July to pursue raising support and moving to Hong Kong to work with house church pastors in Asia. I have always made it very clear to the youth that I have served that being obedient to God is the only worthwhile way to live this life. Everything else falls short. Our time here has been precious and God–ordained. This was the second church we visited when we moved here 5 years ago, fresh out of college and newly married. We found that this church was warm and loving and we felt welcomed immediately. However, like Jonah, the word of the Lord has come to us and God requires action when He gives a task.

            So, although I will no longer be your high school pastor, we are not leaving this church. This is the longest either Shannon or I have ever continuously lived in one city and the longest we have ever attended one church. This is our church home and we need you now more than ever.  The road ahead of us is a little uncertain. However, we know that we will need prayer and we will need a strong base of people who are rooting for us as we venture into uncharted territory. On July 5th during Sunday night chapel service we will be giving a short presentation on the work we have been called to and attempt to answer questions you might have so that you know how to pray for us. I also want to encourage you to pray for the new youth pastor that the church is seeking. There is a team of fantastic people working hard to locate someone with the passion, skills, and character to make sure this church’s young people are nurtured and discipled to make a difference in this world.

            As I have preached this series on Jonah, God has really used it to highlight what has been going on in my heart. Like Jonah, I struggled with a call and God has used situations to bring me to where he wants. I have cried out from some dark places and God has heard my cry and delivered me from them. Through it all God has worked all things for my good and carefully and compassionately guided me to become closer to his heart. To close this series, I can only say that we serve a big God who is able to accomplish amazing things but perhaps the most amazing thing He does is to work intimately in our lives to make us useful for His will and make us like Him in His character. God has the last word in Jonah, does He have the final say in your life as well?

Comments

  1. Wow, Shannon. You guys are amazing. We will be praying for you as you make this move!! When do you expect to be overseas? Let us know how we can help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment